What is diabetes?
Diabetes is also called diabetes mellitus, a group of diseases that result in the continuous increasing sugar level in the blood. There are many symptoms of diabetes, such as an increase in thirst, urination or appetite. Diabetes can cause severe and long-term health issues, such as stroke, kidney disease, or eye damage. Diabetes can occur if the pancreas can not produce enough insulin or body cells cannot respond to the produced insulin.
Vegetables for diabetes
People with high blood sugar or diabetes mellitus must follow a diabetes-friendly diet to abate the complications and diminish long-term diabetic problems. But the diet chart for diabetes patients is challenging to make. All vegetables and foods are not suitable for diabetes patients. Therefore, it is important to know which ones are good vegetables for people with diabetes.
Some vegetables can spike blood sugar levels but do not seem starchy. We can easily identify potatoes as a starchy vegetable but not the rest. High sugar content vegetables could worsen the condition, so it should be avoided. Some vegetables can help diabetes patients to enjoy their meals. By eating the correct kind of vegetables, we can manage diabetes. So, let us identify the vegetables for people with diabetes.
- Bitter Gourd/ Karela:Bitter gourd or karela is a popular vegetable for people with diabetes. It contains anti-diabetic properties that help lower blood glucose levels. It also includes polypeptide-p, which also helps decrease sugar in the blood.
- Methi: The mildly bitter leaves of fenugreek leaves or methi reduce the glucose level in the blood. It is one of the best vegetables for people with diabetes. The seeds of fenugreek absorb carbohydrates and slow down digestion as it contains high fibre and helps to reduce the level of sugar.
- Lady’s finger: Lady’s finger helps to regulate blood sugar levels. The fluid which comes out while cutting it is good for sugar patients. It works on type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes.
- Carrots: Carrots are full of fibre. They are a good source of vitamin A which is good for the eyes. Carrots also help to control the insulin level in the blood, which makes them a suitable vegetable for people with diabetes. Read more about is carrot good for diabetes.
- Kale: Kale is highly nutritious and a versatile element in the kitchen. A half-cup of cooked kale has 18 calories and 4 grams of carbohydrates. It also includes all the nutrients from vitamins A, E, and K to zinc.
- Garlic: Garlic helps to control high blood pressure. It prevents the development of Arteriosclerosis which causes stroke and heart disease.
- Cucumber: Cucumber has high water content. It keeps hydrated and reduces sugar levels in the blood. It is recommended to use as one of the important vegetables for people with diabetes.
- Lettuce: Although there are many varieties of lettuce, all are full of water and fibre which keeps us hydrated. Red lettuce helps to clot blood and keeps our bones healthy. Red lettuce contains vitamin K. Other foods can be served over a curtain of lettuce. It helps to slow down their absorption, which controls blood sugar levels.
- Green beans: Green beans contain vitamin C, vitamin A and fibre. It is one of the nutritious vegetables for people with diabetes.
- Broccoli: Broccoli contains a lot of vitamin C. It is also high in the antioxidants beta carotene that produces vitamin A. It is good for bones and teeth.
- Asparagus: Asparagus is also known as sparrow grass. It is a non-starchy vegetable. It is high in antioxidants known as glutathione, which helps cure heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer.
- Zucchini: Zucchini contains many important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Zucchini is packed with a vitamin called B6, which helps to regulate blood glucose.
- Cabbages: There is no sugar present in cabbage. Therefore, it's an important vegetable for people with diabetes. Besides, it also helps to reduce blood sugar and increase insulin.
- Spinach: Spinach is a vegetable that contains a very low amount of carbohydrates. Low carbohydrate helps to reduce weight and keep blood sugar in check.
- Tomato: Tomato comes with a very low GI score, which is known as glycemic index. It helps to release sugar into the blood very slowly.
- Mushroom: Mushrooms have a low GI score and little carbohydrates. They do not raise the blood sugar level and weight. It is very helpful for diabetic patients.
- Beetroot: Beetroot is rich in phytochemicals which helps in lowering blood sugar and regulating the insulin level in the body. Read more about is beetroot good for diabetes and it's other benefits.
Also read about is sweet potato good for diabetes.