Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
Garlic: Good Or Bad For Diabetes
Is garlic good for diabetes? Of course, garlic is considered one of the best ingredients that must be consumed daily by diabetes persons. It regulates the blood sugar level and prevents a person from having type -2 diabetes.
For a long time, garlic has been recommended by many as a trusted source to reduce cholesterol levels and prevent high blood pressure problems. It is also found that garlic consumption can also help prevent the appearance of heart problems which are more prevalent in people with diabetes (Around 80 per cent). Garlic taste, odour, and spiciness are the major problems for most adults, stopping them from consuming it.
Table of Contents
Nutritional Value of Garlic for Diabetes
A study was conducted in 2006 to find the effects of garlic on the human body. Is raw garlic good for diabetes? It was found in the study that eating raw garlic for diabetes helps reduce blood sugar levels and proves effective against atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis normally affects more people with diabetes.
Some studies also stated that regular consumption of garlic could be helpful to reduce blood sugar levels.
The Nutritional value of garlic is as follows.
100gm serving of garlic contains-
Garlic Benefits For Diabetes
- It helps reduce the blood sugar level due to the presence of antioxidants, Vitamin C, and zinc in it.
- Vitamin B6 regulates carbohydrates metabolism and since garlic is a rich source of Vitamin B6, consuming it helps prevent the sudden rise in blood sugar levels.
- Amino acid homocysteine is a compound that is risky for diabetes. Consumption of garlic regularly can help to lower this compound in the body.
- Garlic contains allicin and some other compounds, which help increase the level of insulin.
Also read about how to prevent diabetes
Risks and Warnings
Is garlic good for sugar patients? Eating garlic at a limited level is beneficial. But if you consume it over, you suffer from gas, heartburn, nausea, or vomiting. Since it is high in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins, it must be consumed in small amounts to get maximum benefits without any side effects.
Allicin is a sulfurous compound in garlic that gives it its pungent taste and smell. Thus, if we eat garlic in large quantities, then our breath may smell bad and also the body will also get a bad odour.
Raw garlic for diabetes can sometimes be harmful but if you want to avoid these effects, do not consume raw garlic and ingest milk after having the garlic meal.
Also, one important thing to note is if you are taking any blood-thinning medications, consult your doctor before consuming them because it tends to amplify the effects of these medications.
How to add Garlic to your Diet
Can diabetics eat garlic? You can eat garlic as much as you want but consider the risks and warnings. How much sugar in Garlic and how should a diabetic consume, Garlic consumption does not have any standard recommendations. You can add the finely chopped garlic to your potato salad or vegetable salad if you are fine with the taste of raw garlic. You will get garlic greens (young plants) and garlic scapes(curly shoots present in mature plants) during the spring season. These have a less pungent smell and taste compared to raw garlic. They can be chopped and added to a salad or any other dish of your choice. Vegetable garlic soups are also the best way to consume garlic, tasty and effective. Garlic bread is everyone's favourite snack, but the concern is can diabetics eat garlic bread? Yes, they can, but it will be better to make it with whole-grain bread since white bread has saturated fats.
Garlic supplements are tasty and have a less pungent odour and taste. If you cannot tolerate the taste of the odour of garlic, then these are the best option for you. They will provide your stomach with additional garlic along with a good taste. Usually, adults with low-calorie intake or fewer food choices are recommended to take the supplement since consuming garlic in its pure form is difficult.
If you buy garlic supplements, keep the below points in your mind -
- Take your doctor's consultation about whether to add garlic supplements to your diet or not, or else you have to go with pure garlic.
- Buy the supplements which are not processed by heating since heating tends to destroy the beneficial and active compounds present in garlic.
- Do not buy odourless products since they are devoid of the sulphur compounds present in garlic and are responsible for the diabetes-controlling properties of the garlic.
- Find out whether you need the direct consumption of garlic or supplements by knowing your body's needs by analysis or consulting a doctor.
- If you have some medications, then before consuming garlic or its supplement, regularly ask your doctor if you must start eating it or not because garlic may sometimes act as a catalyst for some medicines, which magnifies their effect.
Garlic is good for diabetes. It has high nutritional value, and also it has a pungent taste and odour, which it has obtained from the allicin compound present in it. However, overconsumption of garlic is never recommended since it may lead to some side effects. One can consume garlic in various ways depending on their likes and dislikes. People can make garlic supplements a regular part of the diet with diabetes. Garlic helps reduce blood sugar levels, increase insulin secretion, reduce oxidative stress, overcome insulin resistance, and prevent the risk of heart problems in people with diabetes.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.