Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
High-Protein Diet for Weight Loss
When you are looking to get fitter by losing weight the right way, a lot of people turn to high protein foods for weight loss. It is important to remember that although many dieticians recommend protein rich foods for weight loss it doesn’t necessarily mean the same diet plan is applicable to all. The diet plan largely depends on the body type, the final goal, levels of exercise, and whether the person has any health issues or is taking any medications. All of this determines which are the best protein foods for weight loss for an individual and their diet plan should be made accordingly.
While many people themselves start on a diet high in protein for weight loss it is essential to understand the repercussions to ensure you are not putting excessive stress on your body. A well-balanced diet is a key to good health, however a high protein diet for weight loss should be started only after consulting a professional dietician as well as your doctor. Here is a complete guide to understanding the concept of a high intake of protein for weight loss. Also know about diabetes diet chart indian.
Table of Contents
What is protein?
When you are looking to increase your protein intake for weight loss, it is first necessary to understand what protein is and how it can help you. Protein is a collection of amino acids that your body needs for functioning. It is one of the 3 major nutrients you get from food along with carbohydrates and fat. Every food has a profile depending on the number and kind of protein they provide the body. The best protein for weight loss is based on what each ingredient you consume is made up of. The quality of the protein you consume is important. This is why protein foods for weight loss should be based on your food preferences and your body requirement. Also read about which fruits are good for diabetes?.
Benefits of Protein
If you are considering a protein diet for weight loss, then you should definitely know the benefits of protein and how it affects your body.
- Hormonal balance – The carrier protein cells allow various organs in the body to communicate with each other. This in turn gives the signal to various glands to prevent hormonal imbalances. This is one of the reasons why the requirement for protein for weight loss female body may differ from the male body.
- Enzymes – You may have heard this term in relation to the various processes that the human body carries out. When adjusting the protein intake for weight loss is important to take into account the effect of protein spikes in the blood on enzymes.
- Wear and tear of the body – Protein is responsible for the repair and maintenance of bones, skin, hair, and muscles. Any repair needed in these tissues is due to protein.
- Transport – Protein acts as a transport device to ensure the proper molecules are delivered in the right places to ensure you are healthy. For example, hemoglobin helps carry oxygen to the blood cells.
Whether you are looking for the best protein for weight loss or to improve your health, it is essential to note that there are some amino acids that cannot be produced by the body and are termed essential. Although the quality is important, the quantity matters too when it comes to protein rich foods for weight loss. Also know about sugar diet chart
How to Prepare a High Protein Diet
When preparing a high protein diet for weight loss it is important to remember that the protein intake of the person should depend on age, sex, BMI, and exercise regimen of the person. Here are some tips to remember that can help you make a well-balanced protein diet for weight loss.
- 10 to 35 percent of your intake of calories should be from proteins. An adult who exercises regularly may need up to 1.2 to 1.7 grams per kilogram of body weight per day.
- A good way to assess protein foods for weight loss and to count the number of calories through proteins is to download a tracking app. You can even evaluate the ratio of intake of proteins against fats and carbohydrates.
- Planning your meals around your protein is essential. Once you include a protein for weight loss, the other should be vegetables. Lean beef, chicken, or pork are good examples of complete protein.
- Ditch the processed carbs immediately. They complete your calorie intake of the day without filling your stomach sufficiently. Avoid having refined grains like white rice, pasta, or bread. Have whole grains like quinoa and try to find replacements for foods wherever possible.
- The biggest enemy of high protein foods for weight loss is the time between meals. Keep snacks like almonds, Greek yogurt, hummus, and cheese handy when you feel hungry.
- Start your day with a hearty breakfast and a healthy serving of protein in the form of eggs, whey, pea protein, or collagen.
- Calculate your protein needs according to your diet plan and try to spread it according to the diet plan. Also know about the vegetarian protein diet.
Sample Shopping List
When looking to include the best protein for weight loss in your diet it is essential to consider multiple food items. This ensures you are getting all types of proteins and you do not miss out on any of the amino acids that are essential for the smooth functioning of the body. Although these are not the only items you should stick to, this is a sample of high protein foods list for weight loss you should have on your shopping list.
- Lean cuts of red meat
- Chicken breast and thighs
- Soy milk
- Low-fat dairy products like cheese, yogurt, and cheese
- Nuts and seeds
- Whole grains
Also know about Protein for Weight Loss: High Protein Diet
The 7-Day High Protein Diet Plan for Weight Loss
Weight loss through an altered diet is a commitment and should be taken seriously every meal of the day. The intake of protein for weight loss female and male will differ. There will also be some changes based on the activity level of the person. However, this is a standard diet plan that can be followed 7 days a week.
Breakfast – 3 eggs, 1 slice of whole-grain toast, 1 tablespoon almond butter, and a pear
Lunch – Quinoa-stuffed chicken roll-up
Dinner – Oven-baked herb salmon, 2 cups salad
Breakfast – Smoothie with 1 cup protein powder, 1 cup coconut milk, and strawberries
Lunch – 114 grams of salmon, salad with vinaigrette dressing, and an apple
Dinner – 114 grams of chicken, Quinoa, and Brussels sprouts
Breakfast – Oatmeal and one cup of plain yogurt with ¼ cup chopped pecans
Lunch – 114 grams of chicken with avocado, red bell pepper, and a peach
Dinner – Bowl of chili with brown rice
Breakfast – Omelet of 3 eggs, cheese, chili peppers, black olives, salsa, and an orange
Lunch – Bowl of chili with brown rice
Dinner – 114 grams of fish, lentils, and broccoli
Breakfast – 1 cup paneer with walnuts, apples, and cinnamon
Lunch – 114 grams of canned salmon with whole grain bread and carrots
Dinner – Meatballs with sauce, squash, and raspberries
Breakfast – Frittata made with 3 eggs, cheese, and half a cup of potatoes
Lunch – Leftover meatballs, squash, and an apple
Dinner – 85 grams of shrimp, onions, bell peppers, guacamole, 1 cup of beans
Breakfast – Pumpkin pancakes with chopped pecans
Lunch – Greek yogurt with chopped nuts and pineapple
Dinner – 170 grams of salmon, potatoes, and spinach
Also know about the diabetes reversal diet plan.
How much Protein intake is recommended for a day?
The amount of protein to be consumed every day is a plan that is customized according to the person who is consuming the meals. This is a debate amongst many experts and here are examples of the intake patterns of protein.
- According to the standard DRI of 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, a 68 kg person should have about 54 grams of protein daily.
- This is enough to ensure a balanced diet but it may be too less to ensure proper muscle mass.
- Most studies have shown that older adults need more protein to ensure they don’t have age-related muscle loss.
- Doubling the consumption of protein beyond the standard DRI has been known to boost weight loss, and fat loss, improve body composition, and protect muscle mass.
- Ensure that your intake of protein does not go beyond this as it can cause more harm than help you.
No matter your goal it is essential to ensure that you do not stop or increase the intake of any nutrient suddenly. It can damage your organs. Whenever you are thinking of making a big change in your diet, it is advisable to consult your doctor before. Weight loss should be gradual and should not affect your overall health. A diet plan works best when coupled with an exercise regime.
Why protein is important for weight loss?
Because it increases satiety, speeds up metabolism, preserves muscle mass, and controls blood sugar levels, protein is crucial for weight reduction. These advantages may decrease daily caloric intake, stop overeating and cravings, and aid the body in losing weight.
Does a high-protein diet burn belly fat?
The most frequently discussed topic is protein and weight loss. Protein has proven to be effective in reducing belly fat. Some studies have shown that people who have a higher intake of proteins have lesser abdominal fat. It also reduces the chances of fat gain in women.
Which fruit is highest in protein?
Guava is the highest in protein amongst fruits. You can get up to 4.2 grams of protein in every cup of guava.
What is a high-protein snack?
There are many high-protein snacks that you can eat between meals like low-fat cheeses, granola, yogurt, trail mix, peanut butter, eggs, and so on.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.