Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
Is Sugarcane Juice Good for Diabetes
Living with diabetes is not easy as you have to follow several food restrictions. You have to sacrifice your favourite foods if they spike your sugar levels. Saying NO to sugar can be very difficult if you have a sweet tongue. You should avoid every food with a high glycemic index and glycemic load. Sodas and sugary drinks are strictly banned. Is sugarcane juice one of the sugary drinks to be avoided? Is sugarcane juice good for diabetes? This is one of the most frequently asked questions. Read more to find the answer to this question.
Table of Contents
Nutritional Profile of Sugarcane
Sugarcane juice is rich in numerous nutrients, including calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, thiamine, and riboflavin. It also has abundant amino acids and antioxidants like flavonoids. Read more to know about what level of blood sugar is dangerous?
Nutrition value of sugarcane juice per 250 ml serving:
It's important to know the nutritional value of Sugar Cane Juice before considering it as an option of your Sugar Diet. 250 ml of Sugarcane Juice have 190 calories and now lets know the values of other sugar cane juice components:
- 250 ml of Sugarcane Juice have 190 calories
- Sugar - 50 g
- Protein - 0 g
- Fat - 0 g
- Fiber - 10 g
- Potassium - 150 mg
- Sodium - 1.16 mg
- Magnesium - 13.03 mg
- Phosphorus - 22.08 mg
- Iron - 1.12 mg
- Calcium - 18 mg
- Thiamine - 0.03 mg
- Riboflavin - 0.04 mg
Sugarcane juice is rich in many nutrients. Hence, it is good for health. On the other hand, it also has high sugar content. So, is sugarcane juice good for diabetes? Let’s dig in.
Can diabetics drink sugarcane juice?
One of the most refreshing and delicious drinks during hot summers, Sugarcane juice is a very healthy drink. However, is sugarcane good for diabetes? Some medical experts warn that sugarcane juice can raise sugar levels and so it should be avoided. Some experts say it is very nutritious and should be included in the diet of a person with diabetes. What is the truth?
Benefits of Consuming Sugarcane Juice
- Even though the sugarcane juice calories are high, it can still have certain benefits when consumed. A person with diabetes should be extra careful while consuming sugarcane juice as it can instantly spike blood glucose levels. The benefits of sugarcane can be reaped when a person is dealing with an episode of hypoglycemia.
- Instant energy – It is a great way to amp up the body’s energy levels and not experience the effects of dehydration. Having sugarcane juice would result in easy absorption of sugars into the body and can provide the required glucose
- Better liver function – “Is sugarcane juice healthy?” Yes, as it is one of the best natural remedies for issues related to the liver like jaundice. The alkaline nature of the juice can help to maintain optimal electrolyte balance
- Helps fight cancer – Sugarcane juice is alkaline and is high in calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese. It also has flavonoids that can stave off cancerous cells in the prostate and breast.
- Better digestion – Any person suffering from digestive distress can benefit from the potassium in sugarcane juice. It helps balance the pH levels in the stomach and catalyzes the secretion of digestive juices.
- Helps in diabetes – The nutrients in sugarcane juice can make it fit for consumption for people with diabetes in moderate amounts
- Promotes good kidney health – Since it is low in cholesterol and sodium and has no saturated fats, sugarcane juice can help keep the kidneys in the best health
- Alleviates STD and UTI pain – Diluted sugarcane juice combined with lime juice and coconut water can reduce inflammation that results due to STDs, UTIs, kidney stones, and prostate-related issues
- Helps the development of bones and teeth – The calcium in sugarcane ensures proper development of the skeletal system, bones, and teeth
- Prevents bad breath – sugarcane is rich in minerals that can help build the tooth enamel and can strengthen teeth. It also helps prevent tooth decay and bad breath by providing the required nutrients
- Cures acne – Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) like glycolic acid increase cell turnover that reduces acne. It also helps to exfoliate the skin.
Benefits of Consuming Sugarcane Juice for Diabetes
- Sugarcane is an immunity booster, improves skin health, and helps in decreasing inflammation as it is rich in antioxidants
- Glycemic index of sugarcane juice is 43. So it is not classified under high glycemic foods
- Moreover, sugar from sugarcane juice is not processed in the small intestine
- Instead, it is processed in the liver. So, it acts as a good alternative to gaseous drinks
- It improves gut health as it is a natural laxative
- It is also good for kidney health.
Sugarcane juice has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antihyperglycemic, and diuretic effects. So, it is good for the overall health of all people, including those with diabetes. Nevertheless, persons with high sugar levels should know how to drink sugarcane juice and how much to drink.
Also read about sugar free, no added sugar, and unsweetened
How to drink sugarcane juice?
Raw sugarcane juice is the best. You can add a dash of lemon juice and a piece of ginger to make it tastier, flavoursome, and healthier. Packaged sugarcane juices contain preservatives, artificial flavours, and artificial sweeteners. Moreover, when sugarcane juice is processed in factories, the nutrients in the juice are lost. So, packaged sugarcane juices and sugarcane sodas should be avoided. People with diabetes can drink raw sugarcane juice. Moreover, it is advised that chewing a few pieces of sugarcane is better because sugarcane has more fibre content.
Sugarcane juice and diabetes - How much to drink?
Although sugarcane juice is rich in several nutrients, it has high sucrose content. Sucrose is natural sugar, and it will increase sugar levels. People with diabetes can have sugarcane juice in moderation. This is applicable only if your diabetes is manageable and sugar levels are under control. People with severe diabetes and high sugar levels should strictly refrain from sugarcane juice. Also know about best medicine for diabetes in India.
Sugarcane and diabetes - Can persons with diabetes drink sugarcane juice? The answer is yes. You can consume it in moderation to satisfy your craving for sugar’. However, it is a big NO for those with high sugar levels.
Can Sugarcane raise Blood Sugar?
As the name suggests, cane sugar is sugar explicitly made from sugarcane. Sucrose and glucose increase sugar levels. Cane sugar contains sucrose. So it does enhance blood sugar. Moreover, its glycemic index is low, but its high glycemic load. This is also another reason why it increases blood sugar.
Can Sugarcane Juice be consumed daily?
Too much of anything is not good for your health. Drinking a cup of sugarcane juice daily will keep you energetic, boost your immunity, strengthen your bones, and improve digestion. However, as it has a high sugar level, it is not advised for persons with diabetes to drink sugarcane juice daily. They can consume sugarcane juice moderately but not excessively. Experts recommend half a cup of cane juice if your blood sugar is moderately high.
Moreover, if you are on a weight loss journey, you can drink it daily but should not go overboard. It has a high-calorie content. Hence, you should not drink more than a cup of sugarcane juice. Drinking sugarcane daily is good if you do not drink more than a cup or 200 ml. Enjoy the benefits of sugarcane juice by having it in moderation. Also know more about diabetes diet chart.
What are the Disadvantages of Sugarcane Juice?
Sugarcane juice has multiple benefits, but it has a few disadvantages too.
- It contains policosanol which can cause dizziness, insomnia, and headaches.
- Policosanol also has blood-thinning effects. Overconsumption may prevent your blood from clotting. So it must not be consumed if you are taking any blood-thinning medications.
- Moreover, it can affect cholesterol levels.
- Sugarcane juice is sold by street vendors in Asian countries like India. If it is not extracted hygienically, it may increase the risk of bacterial infection.
Here is a list of health drinks for people with diabetes
Is sugarcane good for diabetes? Can people with diabetes have sugarcane juice? These doubts are raised by many people. It spikes up your blood sugar because of its high sucrose content and high glycemic load. However, cane sugar is a better alternative to refined sugar because cane sugar boosts your energy instantly. It improves your mood and sleep because it stimulates the production of serotonin. Moreover, it helps in storing the energy as healthy fats. So, you can drink sugarcane juice in moderation if your blood sugar level is not very high. You can enjoy its health benefits, provided you don’t go overboard.
Is sugarcane juice good for diabetes?
Due to the high content of sugar in sugarcane juice, it could raise your blood sugar levels dangerously. Thus, people with diabetes should avoid sugarcane juice.
Will sugarcane juice increase blood sugar?
If you have T1D or T2D, sugarcane and sugarcane juice for diabetes might be a poor choice for drinks. Owing to the massive amounts of sugar content, it is said to raise blood sugar levels immediately and dangerously. It not only has a high glycemic load but also a high glycemic index.
What is the risk of consuming sugarcane for diabetes?
There might be certain health benefits associated with sugarcane, but those do not apply to a person with diabetes as the high sugar content negates all the other advantages. 1 cup of sugarcane juice has 183 calories and 50 grams of sugar which is almost equal to 12 teaspoons. It can instantly raise blood sugar levels and can complicate the functioning of other organs in the body.
What is the glycemic index of sugarcane juice?
The glycemic index of sugarcane juice 43. However, the instant spike in sugar levels post-consumption does not make it a good drink for anyone with diabetes.
Is sugarcane juice healthy?
Yes, sugarcane juice can be healthy as it contains high levels of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that may be essential to the body in different capacities. It can enrich the overall health of the kidneys, liver, skin, teeth, etc, and can play a major role in maintaining proper electrolyte balance in the body
Is sugarcane juice good for weight loss?
Yes, sugarcane juice is good for weight loss as it can help to clear the gut and can better the overall process of digestion. It is also known to increase the metabolic activity within the body that can help to use the energy more effectively, leading to weight loss.
Does sugarcane cause diabetes?
No, sugarcane does not cause diabetes directly. Sugarcane and sugarcane juice is good for diabetes if consumed in very low quantities and infrequently. Sugarcane and its juice can be perfect allies during times of hypoglycemia when a person would be required to up the sugar levels in the body to avoid fatally low levels.
Can we drink sugarcane juice daily?
Yes, drinking sugarcane juice daily can have several health benefits. But, this is not recommended for a person with diabetes. The high concentration of minerals and nutrients can be great to fight off certain diseases, however, the sugar content can create more complications for a person with diabetes. Having this juice once a week or during low-sugar episodes would be recommended.
What happens if we drink sugarcane juice daily?
Sugarcane has a high amount of sucrose, the natural supply of sugar can provide the body with energy but can also lead to spikes in the blood sugar readings on the glucometer. This, for a person with diabetes, may not be helpful as constant and repeated high sugar levels can create trouble in the healthy functioning of the body
Which is the best Juice for Diabetes?
The best juice for a person with diabetes would be anything that is unsweetened. Green juices with leafy vegetables (kale, spinach, cucumber), tomato juice, amla juice, lemonade without sugar, etc are known to be highly fruitful in giving the body what it needs to function well.
Is sugarcane juice good for diabetes?
No, due to the high content of sugar in sugarcane juice, it could raise your blood sugar levels dangerously. Thus, people with diabetes should avoid sugarcane juice. Consuming this juice infrequently in moderate (limited) amounts would yield the best results.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.