Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
Is Litchi Good for People With Diabetes?
The Lychee, also called lychee or litchi, is an exotic fruit predominantly grown in the northern and north-eastern regions of India. It can also be discovered in China and across the majority of the south-east Asian countries. They are prized for their sweetness and their pulpy texture. These fleshy, succulent fruits can be consumed raw or used to add sweetness to ice creams, smoothies, jams, etc. But besides the pleasant taste, litchi also has a strong nutritional profile that makes litchi good for diabetes. Let’s check the same for added information.
Table of Contents
|Content||Nutritional Value Per 100 Gram|
|Dietary Fiber||1.3 g|
|Vitamin C||71.5 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.07 mg|
|Total Fat||0.44 g|
|Vitamin K||0.4 µg|
Benefits of Litchi
If you’re wondering if litchi is good for diabetes, you’re at the right place. But before you learn the litchi fruit benefits for diabetes, let’s take a quick look at what benefits it holds for non-diabetic people.
Bolsters the Immune System
The high concentration of Vitamin C in litchi offers an amazing remedy for strengthening the immune system and strengthening the body against infections by microbes. The active ingredients found in litchi help reduce fatigue and weakness and improve the health of different organs. It also enhances the adrenal glands performance, helping reduce stress levels.
Filled with dietary fibres and boasting powerful anti-flatulent, carminative and digestive properties, litchi helps in controlling the flow of bowels by ensuring a smooth fecal movement across the digestive tract, thereby decreasing bloating, flatulence, constipation, and abdominal dilatation. It also helps to stimulate the digestive and gastric juices, thereby promoting effective absorption of nutrients and managing conditions such as indigestion, gastritis, and ulcers. Know about fruit for diabetes.
Enhances Blood Circulation
The presence of essential minerals like copper and iron in this delicious, succulent fruit aids in the development of red blood cells. The cleansing properties also assist in the elimination of harmful toxins in the bloodstream, thus enhancing blood circulation and increasing oxygenation of the organs and cells. Also know about Indian diabetes diet.
Other Health Benefits of Litchi
The pulpy fruit isn’t just appealing to our taste buds but also has various health advantages. It boosts blood circulation, strengthens immunity, assists with digestion, manages blood pressure, reduces weight and is excellent for healthy bones and radiant, clear skin.
Benefits of Litchi for Diabetes
Is litchi good for diabetes or not is still a buzzing question for many. While the typical benefits of litchi have been shared for general people above, its benefits for people with diabetes are listed below.
Let’s take a quick look below and know how litchi fruit is good for diabetes.
- The first benefit is that Litchi contains a significant amount of Vitamin C, which can boost your body’s immune system. It protects against many bacteria and viruses and is a great energy source that can help fight fatigue.
- Litchi has numerous benefits regarding digestion. It helps prevent issues such as constipation, flatulence, bloating, gastric pains, indigestion, and ulcers.
- It is an excellent fruit that can help keep your body weight in check. The fiber content in it aids in reducing weight and encourages weight loss.
- It is a great source of minerals, including iron and copper, that enhance blood circulation. This improves the body’s overall performance because of the efficiency of the supply to the blood with oxygen. It also aids in cleansing the blood. The eventual growth of RBCs in the blood helps prevent anemia.
- The numerous flavonoids and antioxidants present in litchi can fight cancer and provide extra protection to your body. The antioxidants in litchi are also believed to keep cardiovascular health and blood pressure steady.
- Litchis are also proven to be a cure for various ailments like – cataracts, influenza, Herpes virus infections, etc.
- The presence of manganese, phosphorus, iron, copper, magnesium, manganese, etc., can increase our body’s capability to absorb calcium. All in all, it helps to keep bones healthy and strong.
- Litchis can be great food for your face. The extracts of litchi are utilized in creams and cosmetics to help prevent sunburns, aging, pimples, etc. Vitamin C contained is a critical ingredient in keeping your skin youthful and well-nourished.
With so many litchi fruit benefits for diabetes, there is no reason to worry while including it in your diabetes diet.
Glycemic Index for Litchi
Glycemic index of litchi 50, establishing a safe relation between litchi fruit and diabetes. The glycemic index is a ranking given to carbohydrates depending upon how they affect your blood sugar levels. Foods with a glycemic index or GI lower than 55 tend to get digested slowly. They enable the slow release of sugar in the bloodstream, preventing blood sugar spikes. Litchis are also high in fiber. Consuming fiber may help prevent abrupt blood sugar spikes.
If you were wondering is litchi good for diabetic patients, we have good news for you, Yes, Litchi is good for diabetes. Litchi is considered to be an extremely sought-after fruit in the nation. There is always a chance to have it when you have diabetes, but you need to monitor the amount of these fruits you’re eating each day. It’s best to talk to your doctor before consuming these fruits and getting personalized consultation on whether is litchi good for diabetes in your case. If you’re looking to adhere to an appropriate diet for diabetes, you must keep a healthy equilibrium and exercise with a certain amount of restraint.
What are the risks of overconsumption of Litchi for Diabetes?
Overeating litchi can raise blood sugar and make the diabetic condition worse. It can also lead to internal bleeding, allergic reactions, hormonal dysfunction, and infections.
How much Litchi should a diabetic eat?
For a patient with diabetes, litchi served must be limited to no more than 6 to 7 fruits.
What is the best time to consume Litchi?
Although morning is considered the best time to consume fruits as the digestive system breaks down the fruit sugar quickly and provides our body with all the nutrients, litchi can be eaten at any time of the day.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.