Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
What are the Benefits of Kali Jeeri for Diabetes?
The Indian culture of food comes from a long lineage of heritage and tradition. A variety of spices, masalas, and flavors were introduced to the world thanks to the Indian-grown and India-based plants and trees. We have a lot to show regarding the food-related elements in different scenarios. From these raw substances, many more came into being. Their use was not only limited to the various types of foods and cuisines that they were a part of but also extended to medicinal purposes and Ayurvedic sciences.
From common cold to larger things like diabetes, Indian spices, herbs, plants, and medicinal trees have contributed to the well-being and health care sector. Turmeric (Haldi) is widely used to treat the symptoms of cold and cough. It is also used to heal wounds and cuts and is a great external application for better skin. Similarly, another famous ingredient, cumin or kali jeeri, is also known to have several advantages. Kali jeeri benefits in diabetes management and the overall effect it has on good health are one of the primary reasons why it is so popularly used in the country.
Table of Contents
Kali Jeeri for Diabetes
Essentially, we know jeera to be a popular ingredient in the preparation of several dishes in India. Most vegetables often have a tadka of jeera in them and that adds to the taste. Parathas and puris can also be garnished with jeera for an even more enhanced taste. Along with the yummy flavor it adds to the food, the consumption of cumin seeds, either on the whole as a seed or even in the form of ground powder has been very successful in controlling blood sugar levels.
It adds to the nutritional profile of different dishes and is sought-after for the added health benefits it provides. It has been acknowledged as a prominent medicinal plant and has been vocally accepted in the traditional and popular medicinal systems like Ayurveda and Unani practices. The symptoms of several physiological conditions like cough, diarrhea, kidney-related issues, inflammation, asthma, etc are being alleviated with the help of Kalijiri. Another major health condition wherein these seeds witness major use and advantages would be the kali jeeri benefits in diabetes. Owing to its bitter taste, it counteracts the effects of high blood sugars in the body and possesses several therapeutic values.
Components of Kali Jeeri
Kalijiri is the dried seed of the popular herb Cuminum cyminum and is typically brown. It is easily available all across the world. It also has a black-colored variant called black cumin and the scientific names of the plants from which this is obtained are Centratherum anthelminticum or Vernonia anthelmintic. This variety of the jeera has a distinct and recognizable aroma along with a woody flavor. One can obtain these seeds from the tall and leafy plant that is widely grown in the country.
It has now become a popular practice to research and learn about the chemical composition and nutritional value of different ingredients before using them in food items to a large extent. The chemical composition of Kalijiri would primarily consist of glycosides, phenolic compounds, carbohydrates, and sterols.
The seeds of this tall plant also have 18% oil, 0.025 volatile oil, and flavonoids. These substances are known to control neuropharmacological plant activity and also provide several benefits to the physical and mental health conditions of humans.
Therapeutic Uses of Kali Jeeri
These plant-based seeds are popular globally owing to the several therapeutic benefits they seem to offer. The advantages of consumption of this seed are countless and people can find their use and benefits in multiple areas. Since the use of these seeds is also backed by popular belief systems like Ayurveda and Unani medicine, the faith in them has grown even more.
When used as an ingredient in the classic Ayurvedic preparations,
- Kalijiri seeds can be beneficial for respiratory problems.
- Due to its properties of melanin synthesis, it can also be useful in the treatment of vitiligo.
- Additionally, it is also an active ingredient in the making of Ayurvedic creams and oils. These are used to provide comfort from the symptoms of skin infections since they have antibacterial properties.
- The antioxidants present in the seeds can help accelerate wound contractions.
- Ayurveda also propagates the use of Kalijiri along with Neem or coconut oil as it can help with the early healing of wounds due to its astringent properties.
One of the major benefits of Kalijiri can be recognized as kali jeeri benefits in diabetes. The use of these seeds in the treatment and alleviation of symptoms is still one of the most common uses.
Benefits of Kali Jeeri
These seeds are beneficial in multiple ways owing to their anti-inflammatory antioxidants, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties.
- Digestion – One of the most significant features of kalijiri would be its assistance in the process of digestion. A compound called thymol, which stimulates the enzymes responsible for the better secretion of digestive juices is present in jeera.
- Immunity – Since these seeds have abundant Vitamin C, they can help in boosting the immune system. Moreover, with the presence of antibacterial properties, it can also work to keep external bacteria and infections at bay. It also provides iron and dietary fiber upon consumption.
- Blood sugars – These seeds are also rich in anti-diabetic properties. Since they contain antioxidants, they can prevent any (or further) damage to the pancreatic cells. This can also increase the levels of insulin in the body and can help manage the symptoms of diabetes.
- Detox – Several components like aldehyde, thymol, and phosphorus that are loaded in Kalijiri make it a good detoxifying agent. It can flush out the toxins from the body and can facilitate the production of bile, therefore, is beneficial for the liver.
- Skin – Another major benefit associated with the consumption of Kalijiri would be related to skin and skincare. Since it has a decent amount of Vitamin E which is a skin-friendly antioxidant, it can keep the skin tight and moist. This provides a healthy and youthful glow. It can also help battle skin inflammation and the antibacterial and antifungal properties can prevent infections of the skin.
How to Use Kali Jeeri?
Owing to the significant kali jeeri benefits in diabetes, its management, and the dealing of several other medical conditions, it would then become vital to learn how to use these seeds to reap the advantages they offer:
- Seeds – The seeds can be ground into powdered form and can be used externally. The seeds can also be mixed with methi dana and ajwain. One can also apply the paste of the seeds on wounds or stings
- Roots – The roots have proven to be effective in the management of stomach aches, ulcers, and even cough
- Flowers – The flowers obtained from this plant can help with normalizing bowel movements and also aid with the problems associated with indigestion.
- Leaves – By extracting the juice from these leaves, the management of phlegm and discharge from the nose becomes easier. The flavonoids also make it easier to heal wounds.
Side Effects of Kali Jeeri
There are limited studies and research projects conducted that prove the side-effects of this condition. The data collected up until now have declared this plant safe and the seeds for use in small doses. Overeating Kalijiri may not have any severe side effects, but it is best consumed in acute doses.
Precautions to Take With Kali Jeeri
While the benefits are multifold, one can never be too careful. Here are a few precautions that can be kept in mind with the use of Kalijiri.
- In pregnant females, the oral intake of these seeds has revealed the suppression of Rh-incompatibility. This highlights the immunomodulatory activity of these seeds.
- During breastfeeding, it would be advisable to consult a team of doctors before consuming these seeds raw.
How to eat Black Cumin Seeds?
There are several ways to go about consuming black cumin seeds by people with diabetes – powdered form, paste, in water, as an ingredient in food, etc. Even roots and leaves can be eaten for the different benefits that they happen to offer.
What are the health benefits of Kalijiri?
Kalijiri has several properties and several health benefits. Their health benefits extend not only to a couple of ailments but many different conditions in different parts of the body like – cough, kali jeeri benefits in diabetes, anti-cancer, inflammation, digestion, skin, asthma, infections, etc.
Can Cumin (Jeera)Water reduce blood sugar?
Cumin water can help to stimulate insulin production in the body. This can help keep the blood sugar levels in check. Jeera water is often recommended for people with diabetes.
Is Cumin Good for type 2 diabetes?
Yes, cumin can be good for type 2 diabetes. It has antioxidant properties that stimulate the cells in the pancreas to produce more insulin and can, therefore, help with the symptoms of diabetes. Also know how to reverse diabetes.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.