Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
13 Herbs That Can Help You Lose Weight
There is no limit when it comes to finding techniques to lose weight however, which method will give the result is often under scrutiny as some may work and others may not. Since weight loss is dependent on different factors like – age, comorbid conditions, metabolism, support system, food habits, etc what may work for someone may not work for everyone. We often look at the tried and tested methods of losing weight which can get quite redundant and monotonous. The motivation to follow these methods may not stick for long as they often use the process of elimination – for example – the removal of carbs, sweets, maida, starch, etc from the diet. Most of these are the ‘fun’ and ‘yummy’ kinds of foods that people enjoy eating. Also know about benefits of curd with sugar.
Table of Contents
Herbs & Weight Loss
The perfect weight loss meal plan is one devoid of several different aspects. However, how about switching to a plan that revolves around the addition and use of certain herbs for weight loss? Since ancient times, herbs have been considered to be the best way to add flavor to food without the whole aspect of sodium, extra calories, or sugar – this is critical to losing weight. Research suggests that when you don’t like what you eat, you are less likely to stick to the diet, even if you are disciplined and committed to it. Since herbs and spices are known to add a certain amount of flavor to food, you are more likely to continue as you would have the power to turn a seemingly bland meal into something that looks and smells like it came out of a restaurant. What is even more beneficial is that these herbs can also help you boost metabolism and burn body fat in a significant way. Also know about the diabetic weight loss diet.
Using herbs to lose weight may not be a new discovery, but you can surely put it to good use. Know about Indian breakfast for diabetes .
List of 13 herbs that can help you to lose weight
- Fenugreek – One of the most commonly-found seeds in any Indian household can have a huge role in supporting and assisting in weight loss. If you are looking at certain helpful herbs for weight loss, the advantages posed by fenugreek like higher fiber, increased feelings of fullness, reduced overall food intake, etc makes it reliable.
- Cayenne Pepper – This is a type of chili pepper that is often used to add spice to several foods. The compound – capsaicin provides the signature heat and can help to boost metabolism and burn calories throughout the day. The feelings of fullness are also associated with decreased total calorie intake.
- Ginger – This is a spice made from a flowering plant and is commonly used in folk medicine as a natural remedy for multiple ailments. 14 studies involving humans depicted that increasing the amount of ginger in foods can significantly decrease body weight and belly fat.
- Oregano – A herb that belongs to the plant families of basil, thyme, sage, and rosemary contains a compound called carvacrol which boosts weight loss. This compound is also known to be more effective with specific genes and proteins that are responsible for controlling fat synthesis in the body.
- Ginseng – A health-promoting plant that has several properties and is considered helpful in Chinese medicine. Studies have supported the claim that this plant is helpful in weight loss and it can also promote changes in the composition of gut microbiota.
- Caralluma Fimbriata – Consider this among the herbs for weight loss as it is a herb that is included in many diet pills. Its function is to increase the levels of serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that affects the appetite.
- Turmeric – An Indian herb that has found its way into the Ayurvedic medicine practice is associated with numerous health benefits due to the chemical – curcumin – which is highly effective for inflammation, weight loss, etc. Certain participants have reported up to 5% weight loss. Turmeric can be added to soups, vegetables, stews, milk, etc
- Cinnamon – This holiday spice is one of the best ones known to balance healthy blood sugar levels and also bring them down. Since cinnamon helps to curb food-related cravings, it can be added to certain meals like – oatmeal, curd, tea or coffee, etc. You can also use it for marination
- Cumin – This little spice is often a constant addition to your daily food. One teaspoon of cumin in your meals per day can help to burn 3x more body fat. Since it is easily available and universal, it can be added to any type of food. You can also add cumin powder to buttermilk as it can add to the flavor.
- Garlic – The numerous health benefits associated with garlic has made it a staple in the Indian diet. Not only with weight loss but also regarding cholesterol levels, garlic can add to these factors and also make the food tastier. Raw garlic has numerous nutrients that can be significantly helpful in the list of herbs for weight loss.
- Black pepper – Equipped with several fat-burning properties, black pepper is also famous for blocking the formation of new fat cells. As a result of this, the body would not gain weight in the first place. Add black pepper to salads, soups, yogurt, oatmeal, etc and enhance the taste along with boosting a healthy weight
- Cardamom-The advantages of this spice would be to regulate and boost a healthy body temperature and hasten the overall metabolism in the body. It can taste fantastic if mixed with nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, etc, and can be added to your evening tea.
- Green coffee bean – This extract is often found in many weight loss supplements and is made from coffee beans that have a potential weight-lowering effect. Consuming these beans has been associated with a reduced body mass index even without any significant changes in calorie intake. Also know about type 2 diabetes diet.
The punch of your favorite flavor to your foods along with an extra benefit to losing weight. The natural properties of these herbs and spices make them conducive to weight loss and can also promote overall fat burning within the body. By simply diversifying your spice cabinet, you can make sure that it becomes easier for you to lose weight without much effort. Use a combination of these herbs and follow a balanced diet with a healthy lifestyle for the best results.
What herbs speed up your metabolism?
Several herbs for weight loss can play a role in boosting the overall metabolism within the body and can also aid in the process of burning fat – turmeric, ginger, oregano, ginseng, etc. can be used for faster metabolic processes.
What spices get rid of belly fat?
Since belly fat can be the most troublesome and problem-causing of them all, spices that might help lose belly fat would be beneficial and preferable – ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, cayenne, mustard seeds, etc can help with losing belly fat. Reducing belly fat can also help with better insulin sensitivity.
Which Leaf is good for weight loss?
Coriander leaves are considered to be helpful and useful in regulating weight and amping up the metabolic levels of the body. Being rich in magnesium, vitamin B, folic acid, etc. these can be consumed in the form of chutney, salads, etc.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.