Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
6 Simple Ways to Lose Belly Fat, Based on Science
Losing fat from the body is a task that requires a lot of effort and dedication. Fat deposits can have multiple causes and it may not always be easy to reduce the overall body weight - it may need a holistic approach. Trainers often speak about the practicality of a combination of exercise and a healthy diet to be able to lose the most amount of fat. However, this is also not a one-time thing. Constant hard work is a must to be able to reduce overall fat from the body. This is particularly true for stubborn fat areas like the belly. Not only is it tough to eradicate, but belly fat is also the most annoying one as it has the power to change the way you look and how an outfit feels on you.
Table of Contents
How to Lose Belly Fat: Tips Based on Science
One of the most common weight loss goals is to remove belly fat. Many men and women who dream of a toned body often also dream of a flat belly. This could be one of the reasons why people often look for the easiest way to lose belly fat. Moreover, this is an important goal body-wise and also health-wise. Abdominal fat can be harmful. It can give rise to diseases like type 2 diabetes and also has a strong link with heart conditions. This is another reason why it would be best to engage in a belly fat diet plan and exercise.
Scientifically, a combination of ways to lose belly fat would be the ideal plan. This is because, working on a single area like only diet or exercise or not eliminating certain food groups from the diet plan, etc would not be a holistic approach.
List of 6 Simple Ways to Lose Belly Fat
If you are looking for a diet to lose belly fat or are searching for a proper plan, it can be done with a few simple, scientifically proven steps. These steps can work wonders in combination and can get rid of the stubborn fat around the stomach and waist.
- Limit sugary foods – If you are planning a diet to lose belly fat, limiting, if not eliminating, sugary foods would be one of the most important steps. Since they are harmful to the health in many ways, overconsumption of such foods can lead to unhealthy weight gain. Sugar can lead to the risk of accumulation of bad fat in the body, therefore, they need to be removed from the belly fat diet. Liquid sugar also has similar problems. The body takes in more calories via liquids. Studies also show that children are at a 60% risk for obesity if they consume sugary liquids. Therefore, one of the best ways to lose belly fat would be by getting rid of the sugar.
- Have more protein – A nutrient that plays an important role in supporting weight loss and building muscle strength is protein. Include protein-rich foods to reduce belly fat. Scientific studies have shown that incorporating protein in your belly fat diet plan can reduce cravings by nearly 60% and can boost your metabolism by almost 80-100 calories per day. By curbing hunger pangs, you end up eating about 411 calories less in a day. Such foods to lose belly fat are important additions to the daily chart. Add proteins regularly as they can also promote healthy muscle growth when paired with exercise. Witness significant changes in belly fat and body fat too. Also know about the vegetarian protein diet.
- Reduce carb intake – Any dietician, doctor, physiotherapist, or professional will ask you to limit your carb intake if you are looking to lose weight. Cutting down on carbs significantly reduces your appetite giving room for a more effective belly fat diet. Low-carb foods that burn belly fat can lead to 3x more weight loss than a low-fat diet. This diet can cause the body’s water weight to drop leading to less water retention and providing an instant weight loss effect. Within a couple of days, you will see certain changes in the body as you use these foods to reduce belly fat.
- Add fiber-rich foods to the diet – Looking for an effective belly fat diet? Add fiber to your everyday diet chart. Fibrous foods are slow to digest. This means that they are a good addition to foods that burn belly fat safely. Not all fiber may work the same – choose more soluble fiber-rich foods as they can bind with water and form a thick gel to stay in the intestines of the body. This gel can slow down the passing of food through the digestive system. It also absorbs nutrients in the body making you feel full. Soluble fibers, therefore, are great foods to lose belly fat. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, oats, etc help with the sticky and stubborn belly fat
- Engage in regular exercise – Only working on a diet to lose belly fat may not be the holistic approach that will help. You would also have to add regular exercise into the mix to be able to get the body that you dream of. This does not mean that you only have to perform abdominal or ab-building exercises and work on your whole body for a better result. Exercises like swimming, jogging, walking exercise, etc in tandem with foods that burn belly fat will help you achieve the desired results. Having a proper belly fat diet plan along with exercising is the best way forward.
- Measure food intake – What you eat every day is important and it is also equally vital to know how much you eat every day. In the mission to incorporate foods to lose belly fat, make sure that you are not depriving yourself of the proper nutrition that your body might require to sustain. Track your food intake every hour for several days as you come up with a belly fat diet plan. Add your goals slowly and gradually to make sure that you are not bombarding your body with a diet to lose belly fat by making sudden and drastic changes.
The easiest way to lose belly fat would be with the help of certain steps that work in tandem to provide long-term and sustainable results. A proper and systematic assortment of foods to reduce belly fat along with exercises and controlling the overconsumption of substances like alcohol and cigarettes would be advantageous. Follow the plan to the T to witness a change in your body and also your overall mental health. Feel confident and radiant.
Can coffee reduce belly fat?
Along with being a delicious start to the day, coffee can also be included in the list of foods that burn belly fat. Caffeine is a popular ingredient in weight loss pills as it is known to have fat-burning properties. Additionally, it also boosts metabolism and can support weight management. Also know is coffee good for diabetics?
Does lemon water burn belly fat?
Lemons are good to remove belly fat. The presence of vitamin C and antioxidants can promote healthy digestion. The diuretic properties in lemon can also work towards detoxifying the body and can boost the overall metabolism
Does warm water burn fat?
Drinking warm or hot water can help lose weight healthily. Since hot water is essential to break down fat molecules in the diet faster, it can lead to weight loss, even belly fat loss. While you are creating your list of foods to lose belly fat, make sure you add warm/hot water to that chart too.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.