Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
What are the Benefits of Flax Seeds for PCOS?
The beneficial properties of Flaxseeds can treat PCOS without you getting involved in any complex treatments. Ladies, if you are in a quest to find a magic ingredient that can help you improve your PCOS treatment process then you have landed in the right place. Here are the benefits of flaxseed for PCOS.
Table of Contents
What Are the Benefits of Flax Seeds For PCOS?
Consumption of flaxseeds has immense benefits for your reproductive system. Adding PCOS to your diet will naturally help you to achieve regular menstrual cycles. Following are the benefits of flaxseeds for PCOS.
Flaxseeds are full of nutrients like antioxidants, fibers, and proteins that are enriching for the body. These seeds also improve your metabolism.
Intake of flax seeds helps to balance the water retention of the body and triggers the weight loss process.
Flaxseeds are optimum sources of lignans that reduce the chances of developing cancer. It also prevents the development of cysts in the body by balancing the hormones.
Flaxseeds also contain omega 3, which controls cholesterol levels. Studies show that intake of flax seeds reduces the risk of getting diagnosed with cardiovascular diseases.
Having so many benefits, flaxseeds must be your go-to ingredient to treat PCOS naturally. Also know about the types of pcos.
Is it safe to consume flaxseed to treat PCOS?
Opting for natural remedies might reduce your chances of going through complex treatments like surgeries and medications that have side effects. Consuming flax seeds will improve your PCOS condition without causing any complications that other treatments might have.. Medications may show you instant results but as the body gets habituated to taking pills and once you stop taking them the problem may reoccur or in some cases get worsen. However, if your condition is severe you must consult a doctor and take the required medicines.
It is better to consult a doctor for extreme conditions but if you are in the initial period of diagnosis resorting to remedies like the consumption of flaxseeds will work wonders for you without having any side effects that you might face with other treatments. The health benefits of flaxseeds make it a safe option to treat PCOS. Also, flaxseed is good for diabetics.
15 Flaxseed Recipes for PCOS
Consuming flaxseeds for PCOS in the same way regularly can make you feel monotonous over time. Therefore, here are some interesting flaxseed recipes that will add uniqueness to your diet every day.
- Smoothies- Blend a banana, milk, honey, and a teaspoon of flaxseeds to get a smooth consistency and your flaxseeds smoothie will be ready in minutes. This one smoothie is a full package of nutrients to aid PCOS healing. You can consume this smoothie once every day.
- Flaxseed Roti/ bread- A simple method to add flaxseed to your diet is by adding them to the wheat flour that is used to make Rotis. Start with kneading the dough and then make Rotis which will hardly take 4-5 minutes and you can consume 2 flaxseeds roti a day for better results.
- Flaxseed yogurt- The heavenly combination of yogurt, honey, and flaxseeds is something that you must try to satisfy your cravings. It causes negligible preparation time to make this and you can consume it once daily. If you want to neglect dairy products, you must go for Greek yogurt instead of ordinary ones.
- Flaxseed cookies- Perfect to satisfy your cravings, make a fine powder of flaxseeds, a few biscuits, muesli, peanut butter, wheat bran, and vanilla essence. Convert this mixture into a dough and further make small balls out of it. These simple cookies are ready hardly in 5 minutes by following simple steps. Also read about sugar free biscuits.
- Flaxseed spread- Choose your favorite nut butter and add flaxseeds to it. You can use this spread over a slice of bread and it takes bare minimum effort to make this one.
- Flaxseed pancakes- This one should be your go-to recipe if you love healthy desserts. Add flaxseed powder to the pancake ingredients and mix it well using water to achieve consistency like a batter. Using the right ladle spread this mixture on the pan and cook it for 2-3 minutes from both sides on medium flame and voila! Delicious pancakes are ready to serve.
- Flaxseed salad topping- Use flaxseeds as dressing over vegetable salads. Sparkling flaxseeds over the salads will make them slightly crunchy. This recipe is a super healthy and easy way to add flaxseed to your diet. You can prepare this within 2-3 minutes and consume it daily.
- Flaxseed mukhwas- Indians need mukhwas after their meals to give their meals a perfect closure. To prepare healthy and refreshing ‘mukhwas,’ mix flaxseeds, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, and fennel seeds. Add some lemon drops to this mixture and a healthy mukhwas is ready within minutes. This mukhwas can make you feel light after consuming a heavy meal.
- Flaxseed protein powder- Blend flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and chia seeds to get a fine powder. Consume this powder along with milk or individual to fulfill your protein requirements.
- Flaxseed chilla- To make these chillas, add flaxseed powder to the besan or wheat batter and spread this batter over a pan, and cook it from both sides on medium flame. Cook it for a few minutes and your flaxseed chilla is ready.
- Flaxseed roast- Roast flax seeds along with a few other seeds like sunflower, sesame, etc., and within a minute a healthy recipe to munch on is ready.
- Flaxseed crackers- Make a dough using flaxseed powder, wheat flour, olive oil, and dried herbs. Divide the dough into smaller shapes and bake them in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius until flaxseed crackers are ready.
- Flax Seeds chutney- To spice up your diet make this chutney by blending flaxseeds, chili powder, turmeric powder, and coriander-cumin seeds. Blend till you get a proper consistency and your flaxseed chutney is ready.
- Flaxseed sprouts- Take your favorite fruits, add some boiled sprouts and flax seeds to it, and just like that your sprouts recipe is ready within 2-3 minutes.
- Flaxseeds garnishing – Roast flaxseeds along with perfectly chopped garlic and add salt and chili powder to it. Roast it for 3-4 minutes and a healthy flaxseed garnishing is ready. Know about is honey good for diabetes?.
Taking conscious steps like improving your diet by adding items like flaxseeds has better chances to treat PCOS over time without making you experience the side effects of other complex treatment methods. Flaxseeds for PCOS is a magic ingredient that you must try if you desire to treat the disease naturally and build a healthy lifestyle. Also know about sugar level in blood.
Are flax seeds good for ovarian cysts?
Flaxseeds consist of lignans that prevent the development of ovarian cysts. These seeds also bring hormonal balance which enables you to reduce the symptoms of PCOS and achieve regular menstrual cycles.
Does flaxseed help balance hormones?
Lignans that are present in Flaxseed are a good source of plant-based estrogen. Hence, consuming flaxseeds manage the hormonal imbalances of the body by cutting out the extra male hormones that cause PCOS. Flaxseeds are a great option to regulate hormonal levels.
Does flaxseed increase female hormones?
Intake of flaxseeds will help you to improve female hormones metabolism that enhances the regularity of menstrual cycles. Lignans which is a compound present in flaxseeds contain plant-based estrogen which is good to treat PCOS naturally.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.