Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
Ayurvedic home remedies to control your blood sugar levels
Ayurveda is a part of ancient Indian culture and history and has been evolving and playing an active role in our lives since time immemorial. The practices and aspects studied in the books of Ayurveda have been helpful in several different walks of life. It is considered one of the most effective ancient health care systems that even doctors in today’s times use in the treatment of several chronic and acute conditions that might affect their patients. Essentially, Ayurvedic medicine is a traditional system of medicine that is native to India and Indian culture. It includes a wide range of treatments such as – yoga, acupuncture, herbal medicine, massage, etc that play a huge role in encouraging health and wellbeing.
It is one of the world’s oldest holistic healing systems. The word holistic is used because the Ayurvedic form of medicine deals with alleviating symptoms and treating the whole body. The basic belief is that the overall health and well-being of a person depends on the balance between the mind, body, and spirit. Its mission is to promote good health and not to fight disease. However, Ayurvedic treatments do focus on mitigating specific health problems. Maintaining this balance between the elements of life and dealing with the health conditions can lead to a positive and more fulfilled life in the long run.
Ayurvedic home remedies for diabetes
Diabetes is a commonly occurring condition not only in India but all over the world. The prevalence and incidence of this condition have increased manifold and younger and older people are having to deal with the devastating consequences that come as a result of this diagnosis. Different types of diabetes can exist, and the diagnosis of these types depends on several factors like – genetics, age of the person, lifestyle, immunity levels, etc.
Type 1 diabetes, is generally the most severe type wherein the administration of insulin needs to happen via external sources as the body (pancreas) does not produce any insulin. Here, the treatment mode is often using an insulin injection or an insulin pump. Type 2 diabetes that usually occurs later in life owing to lifestyle factors can be better managed with diet and exercise. Some people with T2D need to take pills, and seldom also injections, depending on their age.
Many practitioners, along with modern medicine, are now recommending the use of an Ayurvedic home remedy for diabetes. While modern medicine is supremely effective in dealing with the day-to-day symptoms of high blood sugars, Ayurveda and the principles behind it look at a more holistic and sustainable long-term change in the overall patterns of the people affected. Know about is honey good for diabetes?.
Table of Contents
Why are Ayurvedic Home Remedies Safe For Diabetes?
Diabetes home remedies Ayurveda and related to its practice are known to be very effective and helpful in dealing with some of the major troubles and reducing not only the blood sugar levels but also other major complications that may be associated with diabetes like – high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, weight gain, inflammations, etc.
The home remedies that are used in this study and practice and simple to use and very easy to prepare. Not much time or money goes into creating the concoctions and they are highly effective as treatment options. Since they are made using natural and everyday ingredients, they also pose no harm to the health or the body upon consumption.
Different elements that may already be present in the house such as clove, cinnamon, cumin, rock salt, ginger, honey, garlic, basil, etc are regarded as effective home remedies. Other techniques such as yoga, massages, and aromatherapy are all also natural home remedies
Also read about yoga for diabetes.
Here are a few reasons why Ayurvedic home remedies for diabetic patients are considered safe:
- They have few /no side effects.
- They have no chemicals that could be harmful or toxic to the body
- They are cheap and easily available
- They are effective against many illnesses and health conditions. One remedy can be used against several problems
- They emphasize prevention and cure
- It works to detoxify the body from the toxins present
- The treatment works to create a balance between the mind, body, and soul to achieve good health.
Tips to Control Your Blood Glucose Levels with Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Since Ayurveda looks at the condition from a different perspective, it analyses the health condition by taking into account the different aspects of physiology and psychology along with stress levels, diet, daily routine, etc. The blood sugar ayurvedic home remedy is often multimodal using an approach that deals with the holistic problem. This is why people see a lasting relief.
Here are the different ways and tips that one can use to deal with high blood sugars:
- Herbal medicines – This provides immediate relief and can restore the imbalance at different levels of the body. It can also improve digestion, deal with metabolic issues, support the activities of the liver, and can eventually improve the functioning of the pancreas
- Panchakarma treatment – This can help to eliminate the toxins from the body and clean up the different channels for better metabolization
- Ayurvedic Rasayanas – These can help in maintaining balance at different levels of our physiology.
- Transcendental Meditation – This type of meditation works to create a total integration of the mind, body, and soul. Different asanas help improve neuromuscular integration. Pranayama can help with neuro-respiratory integration. Meditation and these asanas, together, can help to reduce the stress level and can create a balanced functioning of the endocrine system.
- Dietary recommendations – These can help in holistically dealing with the symptoms and other associated conditions. Also know about best medicine for diabetes in India.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for your diabetes diet
An important factor that comes under the branch of ayurvedic home remedy for diabetes would be diet. To know what kind of diet and food items you can include in your daily routine, here is what you can follow:
- Methi dana – Ayurvedic experts believe in the use of methi dana regularly and it can be consumed in different ways like sprouts, or ground within flour to mix in the rotis, etc
- Spices – Different spices are known to have anti-diabetic properties like – turmeric, mustard, cinnamon, coriander, etc. Use them liberally in the diet
- Bitter gourd – This can be one of the staple parts of the diet as it is rich in hypoglycemic biochemical substances. These are great for managing the fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Bitter gourd juice every morning can also help to improve health
- Bengal gram – The food has glucose intolerance properties and can work well to prevent the onset of diabetes. It also helps alleviate the symptoms of chronic diabetes
- Bitter melon – It contains charanti and polypeptide-p that work to reduce the levels of blood sugar naturally.
- Fenugreek seeds – These consist of galactomannan which is a component known to reduce the rate of digestion and can decrease carbohydrate absorption
- Indian gooseberry – Or Amla, is known to help to regulate carbohydrate absorption. Amla also has higher levels of chromium which improves the overall insulin sensitivity. It can reduce sugar levels and can stimulate the pancreatic cells.
- Jamun – This fruit is highly recommended for a person with diabetes as it can regulate the levels of insulin well and also increase insulin production. Even 4-5 Jamun leaves can show positive effects.
- Turmeric powder – A mix of turmeric, honey, and dried amla can work well to show results in managing sugar levels.
- Mango leaves – These are rich in several nutrients. Soaking the leaves in a glass of water overnight and consuming them in the morning would help.
Health Benefits Of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Not only for diabetes, but Ayurveda can truly provide an enriched life with good health and great spirits. Some of the benefits that are associated with the practice of Ayurveda could be:
- Skincare benefits
- Hair care benefits
- Better vision and eye care
- A good oral health
- Better management of physical health symptoms like – diabetes, arthritis, blood pressure, digestion issues, etc.
- An overall emotional well-being – reduction of stress, a sharper memory, lowered anxiety
- It also increases immunity
The positive effects and health benefits of Ayurveda extend beyond specific ailments and deal with them holistically. Incorporating the practice of Ayurveda and its principles in daily life can lead to a better and longer life with fewer health troubles. Along with that, even the spiritual and emotional well-being of a person is ensured with the practice of these principles. Use a thorough diet and exercise along with the inclusion of Ayurveda. Also know about Indian diabetes diet.
How can I control my blood sugar fast at home?
Controlling your blood sugars in case they rise would work best with an insulin correction dose depending on the amount it has risen. Additionally, what could also help is having a glass of warm water or going for a light walk in the fresh air. Moving the muscles would burn some sugars down.
How can I reduce my blood sugar immediately in Ayurveda?
Ayurvedic principles work effectively because they deal with the problems from the root. There may not be any immediate way to reduce blood sugars using Ayurvedic medicines. However, practicing certain yoga asanas to burn the sugar levels in the body might be a good way to reduce blood sugars.
Which Ayurvedic herb is best for diabetes?
Different herbs can be used in Ayurvedic medicine to deal with the symptoms of diabetes – shilajit, turmeric, neem, bitter gourd, cinnamon, aloe vera, etc can be used.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.