How to Reverse Prediabetes Naturally
What is Diabetes?
- Diabetes is a disease that causes increased blood sugar levels due to the less production of low insulin by the β cells of Islet of Langerhans in the pancreas.
- Insulin is a hormone responsible for breaking down sugar molecules and uptake of the sugar by the cells from the bloodstream.
- Irregular insulin secretion leads to high blood glucose levels, known as Diabetes Mellitus or Type II Diabetes.
What is Prediabetes?
Prediabetes is a condition when the blood glucose concentration is higher than normal but not high enough to refer to as diabetes. In layman’s words, it’s a condition before diabetes, and people with prediabetes are prone to contract Type 2 diabetes more easily than others. However, prediabetes is not permanent and can be reversed with proper monitoring of diet and exercise. There are many home remedies for prediabetes.
- After undergoing a Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG) test, an average healthy person should have a blood glucose level of less than 100 mg/dL.
- People with prediabetes will have a blood glucose level of 100 mg/dL to 125 mg/dL.
- A person with diabetes will have a blood glucose level of more than 126 mg/dL.
Causes of Prediabetes
- The main cause of prediabetes is when the body secretes a lower amount of insulin. Insulin is a hormone secreted by the β cells of the Islet of Langerhans in the pancreas, which is responsible for the breaking down of sugar molecules and uptake of the sugar by the cells from the bloodstream.
- Another cause is when there is a case of Type II Diabetes in the family. There are chances that the offspring will be prone to diabetes.
- Aging is another condition for prediabetes. Individuals above 45 years of age are prone to prediabetes, as irregularity of insulin secretion can be noticed by that age.
- Overweight and obesity are significant problems for an individual to be prediabetic or contract Type II Diabetes. Excessive fat and obesity bring in high cholesterol levels, a substantial contributor to prediabetes and heart diseases. There are many home remedies for prediabetes.
- Smoking and Alcohol consumption also contributes to this disease.
Symptoms of Prediabetes
- Discoloration at specific patches of skin like neck, elbows, knees, neck, armpits, knuckles
- Blurred vision
- Feeling extremely tired suddenly.
- Feeling nauseous
- Weight Loss
- A feeling of thirst and frequent urination
- Slow healing of wounds and difficulty in blood clotting
Home Remedies for Prediabetes
Prediabetes is not permanent, and a proper diet plan, regular activities, and frequent doctor visits can reverse a person with prediabetes to being healthy all over again.
1. Move More
- Physical activity increases the insulin secretion in the body, thus keeping prediabetes at bay.
- Every day, 30 minutes of light exercises or resistance training helps the body filter out the toxins and keep the body healthy.
- Exercises like walking, running, swimming, cycling, and strength training are great ways to keep the body fit and flexible.
- Instead of elevators or escalators, use the stairs and cycle or walk more to nearby places. Regular exercises with a proper diet can reverse prediabetes.
2. Lower Your Weight
- Overweight and obesity bring much complexity to the body, and prediabetes is one.
- Losing weight is necessary to avoid prediabetes. Losing 5% to 7% of your body weight makes a huge difference, and regular exercises can attain this.
- Short but practical physical training like High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a great way to burn calories and fat at intermediate intervals.
- Reduction of body weight also helps the body to function with ease.
3. See Your Doctor More Often
- People diagnosed with prediabetes should always keep in touch with their doctors and regularly monitor their glucose levels.
- Doctors can aid in proper treatment to reverse prediabetes by monitoring your daily activity and diet.
- Seeing your doctor every three to six months or as directed by the physician is vital.
4. Healthy Eating
- “We are what we eat.” A person with prediabetes should eliminate all kinds of junk foods, foods that contain high fructose content, and preservatives.
- Incorporating a balanced diet like vegetables and foods with a lower GI index is excellent.
- Elimination or reduction of sugary drinks and alcohol is necessary.
- Keep a note of your calorie intake and consume fiber-rich foods.
- Consumption of lean meat over fatty meats reduces the risks of cholesterol deposition but keeps the protein need unaltered.
- Keep yourself hydrated, drink plenty of water and avoid other forms of carbonated or sweetened fluids.
- Healthy eating and exercise go hand in hand.
- Avoid sugar and sweet food products.
- Avoid grains with gluten as they may cause autoimmune disorders.
- Restrict alcohol consumption.
- Consume GMO-free food products.
- Increase intake of cinnamon as it has a bioactive ingredient that helps prevent diabetes.
- Have aloe vera and bitter gourd juice as they control blood sugar levels.
- Increase intake of vitamin C.
- Raw garlic may also help in reducing blood sugar levels.
5. Make Sleep a Priority
- Sleep is essential for the body as it is the time when the body grows and heals itself.
- Not getting enough sleep results in weight loss and improper functioning of the body, which ultimately increase the risks of diabetes.
- Six hours of uninterrupted sleep is vital as only then can the body utilize insulin properly.
- For proper rest, reduce the screen time and any activities which involve being awake past bedtime.
- Several foods and drinks induce sleep. Consumption of foods like almonds, turkey, white rice, kiwi, etc., helps induce sleep and is an excellent alternative for sleeping pills.
Prediabetes leads to Type II Diabetes, which, once contracted, is irreversible. However, with proper doctor visits, diet control, exercise, and sleep, all your worries about how to reverse prediabetes naturally can be managed. This way, you can keep prediabetes under check without any medication and lead a healthy life.