Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg Tablet for Diabetes
Glycirite GP is an anti-diabetic drug prescribed by doctors to treat type 2 diabetes. In type 2 diabetes, the body is not able to fully absorb the sugars present in the blood to generate energy. This can result in severe exhaustion, frequent urination, drop in weight, sudden hunger or extreme thirst, and recurring ulcers are some of the side effects of type 2 diabetes. If it is not managed properly, it can lead to permanent damage to nerves and many other issues that can prove to be fatal if left unattended.
Table of Contents
What is Glycirite GP?
Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg is a combination of Glimepiride and Metformin. It is used to balance blood glucose levels.
Uses of Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg Tablet
The first approach to managing type 2 diabetes is to try and make changes in the lifestyle. When there isn’t a positive enough reaction from the body, only then do the doctors generally prescribe Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg.
How does the Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg Tablet work?
Glimepiride is a sulfonylurea, whose primary function is to stimulate the pancreas to secrete more insulin. Insulin helps the body absorb the free glucose in the blood and maintains blood sugar levels. Metformin is a biguanide that acts on the liver and forces it to shut down the production of glucose. This ensures there are no sudden spikes in blood sugar levels which can turn into life-threatening situations.
The dosage of Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg should be followed as per the doctor’s orders. It may be harmful to miss, skip, stop, or alter the dosage. It is also essential to tell the doctor about any lifestyle changes. This tablet should be taken whole and not chewed or crushed. Read more about sugar tablet.
Side Effects of Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg Tablet
Although Glycirite tablet uses are many, there are some side effects that may be observed. In case of uncertainty regarding the cause of the side effect, consult your doctor immediately. Here are some side effects of Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg.
The commonly observed Glycirite side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, and difference in tastes. Some of the uncommon side effects are lower blood sugar levels than the normal range or fluctuations in blood count that may lead to infections, weakness, paleness, and issues with blood clotting.
These are the signs, when you observe, you need to consult your doctor immediately as it can threaten your life.
- Severe dehydration that may show up as constant diarrhea, vomiting, or fever.
- Lactic Acidosis may show up as general weakness, tiredness, vomiting, stomach pain, difficulty in breathing, muscle pain, a drop in body temperature, and a slower heartbeat.
- Severe allergic reactions like a body rash, itching, swelling of blood vessels, shock, and increased sensitivity to the sun.
- Sudden and severe hypoglycemia that can result in unconsciousness, seizures, or coma.
- You can blame Glycirite 500mg for weight loss if you are taking a dose.
Also read about urine sugar level
These side effects can be overwhelming but can be managed by following these tips.
- Take Glycirite 500 mg tablet along with some simple foods. Avoid eating rich or spicy food.
- Stay dehydrated using juices, water, or other fluids.
- If you notice low blood sugar, have foods that are higher in sugar like juices, fruits, and biscuits. Also know about sugar free biscuits.
Also read about uses and side effects of other sugar tablet
Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg is a potential lifesaver for those with type 2 diabetes. It works best when combined with a healthy diet and a regular exercise regime. Any changes should be made in consultation with your doctor. Glycirite 500 side effects can be countered by taking the measures mentioned above. Also know about normal sugar level.
1. Can I consume alcohol while taking Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg?
No, you cannot consume alcohol at all when you are taking Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg.
2. Can Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg cause Vitamin B12 Deficiency?
Yes, Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg can change the blood count. It can cause the red blood cells to drop.
3. Is Glimepiride the same as Metformin?
No, glimepiride is not the same as metformin. Glimepiride is a sulfonylurea and metformin is a biguanide.
4. Can Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg cause Stomach upset?
Yes, Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg can cause your stomach to be upset. It is a common side effect. If it is severe consult your doctor immediately as it may be a sign of dehydration.
5. Does Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg cause Weight Loss?
Yes, Glycirite GP 2mg/500mg can cause a modest amount of weight loss.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.