Our Review Process
Our articles undergo extensive medical review by board-certified practitioners to confirm that all factual inferences with respect to medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, and protocols are legitimate, canonical, and adhere to current guidelines and the latest discoveries. Read more.
Our Editorial Team
Shifa Fatima, MSc.
Dr. Apoorva T, MHM.
Know All About Diabeta SR Tablet
Diabetes mellitus type 2 can be controlled with the help of medicine called Dibeta SR Tablet. It helps manage blood sugar levels, hence preventing significant diabetes complications. In women, it is also used to treat Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), a disease associated with menstruation.
The Dibeta SR Tablet is recommended to be taken with food to reduce the risk of experiencing vomiting and abdominal discomfort. To maximise its effectiveness, you must take it daily simultaneously. Unless your doctor prescribes you to, you shouldn't stop taking this medicine. Diabetes can be controlled with a healthy diet and regular exercise. While you are taking this medication, it is essential that you continue with the eating plan and exercise routine that your physician has prescribed for you. Read more about sugar tablet.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Diabeta SR
The medicine Dibeta SR Tablet is part of the drug called a biguanide. It works by decreasing glucose synthesis in the liver, slowing down sugar (glucose) absorption from the intestines, and boosting the body's insulin sensitivity.
Reducing blood sugar levels is a vital part of diabetes management. If you can control your blood glucose level, you will lower your risk of developing diabetes-related complications like kidney problems, eye damage, nerve difficulties, and limb loss. In addition, this medication, along with a nutritious diet and frequent exercise, will assist you in living a regular, healthy life.
Dibeta SR Tablet helps manage diabetes by slowing sugar absorption and boosting insulin sensitivity. Dibeta SR Tablet does not induce significant hypoglycaemia or an abrupt drop in blood glucose levels. Also know about fasting blood sugar level.
Dibeta SR Tablet, unlike other anti-diabetic medications such as sulfonylureas or insulin, does not promote weight gain but may cause minor weight loss. Prediabetes is treated with Dibeta SR Tablet. Diabeta SR Tablet helps avoid diabetes such as kidney problems, blindness, and lack of sensation in hands and feet. Additionally, the Diabeta SR Tablet reduces your risk of heart attack and stroke. Read more about medications for diabetes.
Side Effects of Diabeta SR
- Abdominal discomfort
- Reduced appetite
- Variations in taste
- Lactic acidosis
- Liver inflammatory disease
- Redness, itching, or rash (hives)
- Low blood levels of vitamin B12
- Lactic acidosis can cause coma if you use Dibeta SR Tablet
How does Dibeta SR Work?
The function of the Diabeta SR Tablet is to reduce the quantity of sugar released by the liver into the blood. Metformin inhibits liver glucose synthesis and intestine glucose absorption after eating while boosting organ and muscle insulin sensitivity, so regulating blood sugar.
- Consult With Your doctor
- To avoid unpleasant side effects like lactic acidosis, it is best not to drink alcohol while taking the Dibeta SR Tablet.
- It is not recommended to take Diabeta SR Tablet during pregnancy. However, if your doctor believes that the potential benefits to you during pregnancy outweigh the potential risks, they may recommend you take the medication. You should not take Diabeta SR Tablet without your physician's approval.
- You shouldn't take Diabeta SR Tablet if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed your child.
- Diabeta SR Tablet treatment does not cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or affect driving or using machines.
- Take Dibeta SR Tablet with caution if you have liver problems. Your doctor may need to modify the dosage.
- Take Dibeta SR Tablet with caution if you have kidney disease. Your doctor may need to alter your dosage based on your renal function. You shouldn't take Diabeta SR Tablet if you have severe kidney disease. If you are taking Dibeta SR Tablet, it is essential that you undergo regular kidney function tests. Know about is honey good for diabetes?.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Contribute at least 150 minutes per week to physical activity of medium intensity or 1 hour and 15 minutes per week do vigorous exercise. Gradually losing weight for a healthy BMI (18.5 to 24.9).
- Substituting refined carbohydrate-containing foods with foods containing whole grains and boosting consumption of fruits, vegetables, and other fibre-rich foods.
- Reduce your consumption of foods containing dietary fat (or hidden fats), such as chips, crisps, pastries, cookies, and samosas. Choose oils with omega-3 fatty acids to use for cooking every day. Palm, mustard, peanut, rice bran, and safflower oils are suitable for frying.
- Stress can raise your blood sugar, so limit your exposure to it. Mindfulness, meditation, or yoga help regulate stress-related blood sugar fluctuations.
- Low-fat dairy products are a better choice.
- Maintaining a normal blood pressure (140/90) decreases diabetes patients' risk of cardiovascular disease.
Also read about sugar in urine
- Take Dibeta SR Tablet even if your blood sugar is regular.
- If you forget a dosage, do not take a double dose; instead, visit your physician.
- When taking Dibeta SR Tablet, eat small, frequent meals and avoid prolonged fasting.
- Watch out for symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), such as perspiration, dizziness, palpitations, shivering, intense thirst, dry mouth, dryness, frequent urination, etc.
- If you suffer any of the symptoms mentioned above, you should ingest 5 - 6 candies, three glucose biscuits, or three teaspoons of honey or sugar as soon as possible. Ensure you always bring these with you, especially on prolonged travels and get in touch with a medical professional immediately
- Before prescribing Dibeta SR Tablet, your doctor should know whether you have kidney or liver illness, a heart attack, or drink alcohol.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while taking Dibeta SR Tablet since it raises the risk of hypoglycemia and lactic acidosis.
- Try to quit smoking and minimise your use of high-carbohydrate foods such as potatoes, rice, mangoes, bread, sugar, etc. Also know about sugar free biscuits.
- Remember that modifying your lifestyle is the most crucial step to reduce sugar levels. Also know about ayurvedic medicine for diabetes.
Only for informational purposes. Consult a physician before taking any medication.
- Bigomet SR 500 Tablet (Aristo Pharmaceuticals)
- Metlong 500 Tablet SR (Panacea Biotec Ltd)
- Metsmall 500 Tablet SR (Dr. Reddy's Laboratories)
- Xmet-SR Tablet (Glenmark Pharmaceuticals)
- Metaday 500 Tablet SR (Wockhardt Ltd)
What Type of Drug is DiaBeta?
DiaBeta belongs to the Antidiabetics, Sulfonylureas class of drugs and has been proven effective and safe for children. It is a prescription medicine recommended by doctors to treat symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Doctors can prescribe this drug as the only medicine or in combination with other medicines.
What are the Side Effects of DiaBeta?
Like other medicines, even DiaBeta comes with specific side effects. If you’ve recently started taking this medicine, you may experience nausea, muscle pain, weight gain, joint pain, heartburn, blurred vision, itching, skin rashes, or joint pain. These are some of the visible, most common side effects some people have reported after having DiaBeta.
When Should You Take DiaBeta?
Doctors generally recommend taking DiaBeta once a day. If some people require a higher dosage, the prescribed dosage can be doubled to two times a day. People take it with breakfast or their day’s first meal. However, since it is a prescription medicine, you should not have it without a doctor's recommendation.
This website's content is provided only for educational reasons and is not meant to be a replacement for professional medical advice. Due to individual differences, the reader should contact their physician to decide whether the material is applicable to their case.